Located in the City of Light, Paris, the “Institut de France” is a French learned society comprised of five académies, the most famous of which is the Académie française.
The Institut is headquartered since 1805 in an amazing Baroque palace, built in 1688, which dominates the skyline of Saint-Germain-des-Prés (VI arr.).
This impressive building (click on photo to enlarge and see slideshow), with its baroque décor and strong symmetrical design, has at its centre the chapel with a grand entrance and dome (designed by French architect Louis Le Vau to relate with and complement the Louvre directly across the river).
The Institut de France was established on 25 October 1795 and currently manages approximately 1,000 foundations, as well as museums and châteaux open for visit.
Address: 23 Quai Conti, 75006 Paris
Focal Journey (by Gustavo Espinola)