The City Hall of Toronto, Canada, is the home of the city’s municipal government and one of its most distinctive landmarks.
Designed by Finnish architect Viljo Revell and landscape architect Richard Strong, the building opened in 1965. It was built to replace Old City Hall, which was built in 1899.
When finished, the new building generated controversy amongst many people who felt that it was too futuristic for the city. Even half a century later, it still appears very modern.
Revell’s design consists of twin towers surrounding a white disk-like council chamber which is mounted on a raised platform, with entrances located below that are open to the public. There is also a ramp from the square that connects to the podium green roof and also leads to the council chamber. The two towers are of unequal height as the east tower is taller than the west.
The City Hall is nicknamed “The Eye of the Government” because it resembles a large eye in a plan view.
Focal Journey (by Gustavo Espinola)